What is Golden Milk and How Can It Strengthen Your Health?
Although golden milk is recently becoming more well-known in the USA, it has been popular in many Asian countries for quite some time. It’s considered to be an ancient recipe, and you can see dramatic health benefits from drinking it.
Learn more about this beneficial beverage:
1. What is golden milk? Golden milk is also called turmeric milk. It tends to be a yellow liquid that combines milk and turmeric together.
- You can make this beverage at home or buy it at some health food stores. These stores may also sell different versions of this beverage. It’s possible to find both dairy and vegan varieties.
2. How do you make golden milk? There are many recipes for this beverage and they vary greatly. Experiment with them to find your favorite.
- One common recipe for golden milk is easy to make: Combine a glass of milk with half a teaspoon of turmeric together in a small pot on the stove. Add a little pinch of black pepper. Mix them together and let the mixture warm up on the stove.
- Some recipes use coconut milk or almond milk instead of dairy milk.
- Other recipes add cinnamon and more spices. There are also versions that add extra fat such as butter.
3. What are the benefits of golden milk? Many health benefits have been linked to this beverage, and scientists continue to investigate it. Most of the benefits come from the turmeric in the recipe. Golden milk and turmeric have been linked to a variety of health benefits, including:
- A possible reduction in the risk of cancers
- Better digestion
- More energy
- Reduction in inflammation
- Fighting common illnesses
4. How much golden milk should you drink? The answer depends on your health, lifestyle, and other factors.
- Some people claim to see benefits from drinking several cups of this beverage a day, while others only drink it once a week. Most experts recommend drinking at least one cup of golden milk a day.
- It’s important to verify with your physician that turmeric won’t interfere with any of your medications or other supplements. Turmeric may increase bleeding, so discuss it with your doctor before drinking it or using it in recipes.
5. Risks of golden milk. In general, this beverage is considered safe as long as you’re not sensitive or allergic to any of the ingredients. However, be aware of these risks:
- You may experience stomach discomfort after drinking it. A large amount of turmeric is more likely to cause stomach issues than a small amount. You may want to start making the recipe in smaller amounts.
- It’s also possible to have some stomach issues if you take it on an empty stomach.
- Acid reflux has been reported in a few cases. If you start to experience it, consider changing how you make it or discontinue it.
- Bleeding risks are a possibility with turmeric. If you’re on medication that can increase the risk of bleeding, such as blood thinners, you may not be able to safely take turmeric without talking to a doctor first.
Always consult your doctor or dietician before making any serious diet changes and ask for advice.
Golden milk has health benefits and can taste great. Consider making it at home the next time you want a healthy beverage.